Saturday, April 02, 2011

'Panhandlers' is de ting...


Great show last night put on by the SF Panhandlers at their new CD release concert entitled “Pan is de ting”. The house was sold out, and the band was phenomenal. After singing one of his original tunes with the band 11-time Grammy Award winner Tony Lindsay remarked: “I should re-record this tune with this band.” I don’t think the Panhandlers and their Youth Brigade are conscious of just how good they are; and the fact that the band’s director Jim Munzenrider is approaching legend status with his latest production. In fact, let’s just dub him Jim “The Legend” Munzenrider.

Personally, I had a whale of a time sitting in on a couple of tunes including ‘three’ offerings of ‘Pan is de ting’, backed up by a 9-year-old vocalist named Maddie who matched me word for word with the lyrics. Then she broke off and took a pan solo before returning for the last verse. Amazing pipes. This kid might be the future of calypso.

The amazing Michael Spiro supervised a tight engine room with Mat Germano on drums and the dreadlocked Newton Martin on Iron.

All in all, this show was a blast. I think I heard Jim mention an upcoming concert with Robert Greenidge in December. I ain’ missin’ dat.

Panhandlers’ CDs can be purchased at www.csmsteeldrums.com, or catch them on Facebook as: Panhandlers Steel Drum Band.

No comments: